Thursday 30 January 2020

HAPPY AS A PIG IN SH*T

As previously stated, Palethorpes had a pig handling facility where pigs would arrive by train to be stored in sty's until needed.


As can be seen from this 1935 photo.  At this time there was only one pig shed and the siding rail link had not been added.  It is on this I have based my pig sheds.  The main Palethorpes factory is just out of view top left.

I started by cutting a wooden base and cladding the outside with Wills brickwork sheets which were weathered with a wash of black pain at the foot of the walls, in the same way I had done to the small workman's shed.



Next the motar was added by rubbing in ready mixed tile grout then gently wiping off excess with a damp cloth. Then the supporting ironwork was picked out in black



Now my attention was turned onto the shed itself. I started by cutting out the ends and sides from Wills wooden planking, then a wash of weak black paint rubbed on with a cloth.  Next a sliding door was made and ironwork fitted including the sliding track.


Next I cut pieces of styrene sheet to fit to the inside of the panels to act as a fixing point for the floor and roof. These were glued in position leaving a 5mm gap at the bottom and just 2mm gap at the top (the thickness of the roof sheets.





I followed this by cutting styrene for the base and the two roof sections.  The sides and ends were now glued together then one of the roof sheets fitted and glued followed by two angled supports for the roof which were also glued to the one side of the roof.  After this was fitted, then the second roof section was added. 

 The next job was quite tedious, fitting the corrugated sheets to the roof.  I was not too carefull as I wished the finished result to represent a roof that been up a long time and in need of repair.


With all the roof sheets in place I added two ventilators then gave the roof two coats of matt black followed by adding 'rust by randomly painting some of the joints with red oxide paint then dragging down with a dry brush.



Happy with the result, I produced the second pig shed and here are some shots of the completed buildings.









Well that's the pig handling facility finished.  At a later date I will be producing a factory to represent Palethorpes model factory, but until then I will continue with other parts, so till next time
don't bang 'em about
Blossom

No comments:

Post a Comment